Two years later, real estate agents James R. Smith and M.S. Rankin build eight homes in Morningside Park. Advertisements stressed a 70-foot (21 m) wide paved street in front of homes with Murphy beds and a servants’ toilet in the basement. Morningside was touted as a “new type of suburb.” Commuters traveled to and from their homes by streetcar and, if they were fortunate enough, by car.
The new development prospered after the city annexed the area in 1925.
“The section known as Morningside, one of the newest subdivisions around Atlanta, was experiencing a boom. Many new homes had already been built and many others were under construction. The streetcar line and pavement were being extended out North Highland Avenue from Virginia Avenue to Lanier Place. Kimballville Farm, the fields east of Highland Avenue and the woods west of Highland, were being swiftly replaced by new homes and these were being occupied by young families of industrious, hopeful and friendly people.” -Mini-history of Haygood Memorial United Methodist Church (1976)